Healthier Apple, Walnut, Date Cake Recipe
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup olive oil
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking spice, (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, etc.)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups apples, pared and chopped
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 7" x 11" baking dish with non-stick spray with flour (you can also use an 8" x 8" baking dish).
- Cream the brown sugar, butter, olive oil, eggs, and milk until light; stir in the vanilla extract
- . Place a fine strainer over the mixture and measure the flour, soda, baking spice, and salt into it; shake the mixture through.
- With the mixer on low speed, mix well.
- Stir in the apples, dates, and walnuts.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until the cake begins to pull away from the sides and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Mix the glaze ingredients until smooth; pour over the warm cake. Cool thoroughly before cutting into 12 squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 399 Calories from Fat 153
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 38% Protein 6% Carb. 56%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 226 mg
Total Carbohydrate 56 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 10%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.